Savory dumplings are small or large mounds of dough that are usually dropped into a liquid mixture (such as soup or stew) and cooked until done. Some are stuffed with meat or cheese mixtures, others have small bits of ingredients interspersed in the dough. Dessert dumplings most often consist of a fruit mixture encased in a sweet pastry dough and baked. They're usually served with a sauce. Some sweet dumplings are poached in a sweet sauce and served with cream.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Chinese-Style Dumplings
- Butternut Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage
- Shrimp Siu Mai (Dumplings)
- Dumpling Soup With Bacon and Snow Peas
- Halushki with Pap's Dumplings
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Lamb and Fenugreek Dumpling Stew
- Smoked Ham Hock and Goat Cheese Dumplings
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Boeuf Bourguignon with Baguette Dumplings
- Quimbombo con Carne de Puerco y Bolitas de Platano/Okra Stew with Pork and Plantain Dumplings