Italian for "devil." Culinarily, this term describes sauces (usually tomato based) that are moderately to liberally spiced with chiles. Such dishes can also be referred to as alla diavola and fra diavolo ("brother devil").
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Il Diavolo Pizza
- Sausage Diavolo Pizza
- Porterhouse Steak with Fra Diavolo BBQ Sauce and Cherry Peppers in Vinaigrette
- Seafood Linguine Fra Diavolo
- Lobster Fra Diavolo
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- Cherry Tomato Fra Diavolo Sauce, Seafood and Pasta
- Shrimp and Angel Hair Fra Diavolo
- Bobby Flay's Fra Diavolo Jambalaya
- Kickin' Meatball Parmigiana with Diavolo Sauce