Pronunciation: [DER-bee; DAHR-bee-sheer]
This mild, semihard pasteurized cow's-milk cheese has a natural rind that may or may not be waxed. The interior is yellow and the flavor is mild, buttery and slightly tangy. Sage Derby is generously flavored with the herb, which also lends color interest. Some versions are marbled green and white while others have a green-flecked center sandwiched with pale yellow cheese. See also cheese.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Derby Sage Mac and Cheese with Ham
- The Ultimate Cheese Course
- Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Profiteroles with Herb Oil
- Cream of Tomato Soup with Fontina, Mushroom, Prosciutto and Truffle Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- San Antonio Style Goat Cheese Enchiladas