A measuring term referring to a very small amount of seasoning added to food with a quick, downward stroke of the hand, such as "a dash of Tabasco." In general, a dash can be considered to be somewhere between 1/16 and a scant 1/8 teaspoon.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Hearty Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Sazerac Cocktail
- Vegetable Stir Fry
- Cherry Tomato and Watermelon Salad
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Deep-Dish Apple Pie
- Deep-Dish Mixed Berry Pie
- Chicago Style Italian Sausage and Pepper Deep Dish Pizza
- Creamy Lentil and Rice Dish: Khicheri
- My Mother's Easy Corn Dish