This butter-rich pastry begins as a yeast dough that is rolled out, dotted with butter, then folded and rolled again several times, as for puff pastry. The dough may be lightly sweetened and is usually flavored with vanilla or cardamom. Baked Danish pastries (often referred to simply as "Danish") contain a variety of fillings including fruit, cream cheese, almond paste and spiced nuts.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Danish Pastry
- "High Roller" Mushroom Puff Pastry
- Pumpkin Pastries
- Chocolate and Cheese Danish
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Millefeuilles Served in a Whiskey Glass with your choice of Chocolate, Vanilla and Raspberry Pastry Cream
- Pate Pastry Dough
- Pate Feuilletee (Puff Pastry)
- Seared Sea Scallops in Beurre Blanc with Baby Spring Vegetables in Puff Pastry
- Danish Apple and Prune Cake