From the southern Indian word kari, meaning "sauce," comes this catch-all term that is used to refer to any number of hot, spicy, gravy-based dishes of East Indian origin. Curry powder is an integral ingredient in all curries.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Eggplant and Squash Curry
- Daal Curry
- Thai Green Curry Chicken
- Goan Beef Curry with Vinegar: Beef Vindaloo
- South Indian Vegetable Curry
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Red Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
- Brandied Curry Chicken with Grapes
- Green Curry Shrimp Dumplings
- Scotch Egg with Curry Mayo
- Green Coconut Fish Curry