A small piece or cube of bread that has been browned, either by sautéing or baking. Croutons are used to garnish soups, salads and other dishes. They're available packaged either plain or seasoned with herbs, cheese, garlic and so on.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Crouton Crushed Chicken Tenders with Orange Barbeque Sauce
- Crouton Salad
- Brioche Croutons
- Lobster Croutons with Golden Garlic, Chiles and Sourdough
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Dill Havarti with Country Ham and Buttery Toasted Croutons
- French Onion Dip Soup with Dijon and Gruyere Croutons
- Pulled Pork Cobb Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- Superb Squash Soup with the Best Parmesan Croutons
- Jeanette's Famous Broccoli and Crouton Casserole, Rachaelmagized