A small piece or cube of bread that has been browned, either by sautéing or baking. Croutons are used to garnish soups, salads and other dishes. They're available packaged either plain or seasoned with herbs, cheese, garlic and so on.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Crouton Crushed Chicken Tenders with Orange Barbeque Sauce
- Crouton Salad
- Homemade Croutons
- Brioche Croutons
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Superb Squash Soup with the Best Parmesan Croutons
- Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Dill Havarti with Country Ham and Buttery Toasted Croutons
- Pulled Pork Cobb Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- French Onion Dip Soup with Dijon and Gruyere Croutons
- Guinness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton