Pronunciation: [KROHK muhs-YOOR]
A French-style grilled ham and cheese sandwich that is dipped into beaten egg before being sautéed in butter. Croque monsieur is sometimes made in a special sandwich-grilling iron consisting of two hinged metal plates, each with two shell-shaped indentations. See also croque madame.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Croque Monsieur and Croque Madame
- Croque Monsieur Style Monte Cristo Croutons with Frisee Salad and Shallot Vinaigrette
- Croque Monsieur with Caviar and Baby Watercress Salad
- Croque Monsieur Burger
- Croque Monsieur Pie
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Water Buffalo Mozzarella Sandwich: Croque Monsieur Panini
- Croque Madame Salad
- Croque Madame Sandwich
- Croque Madame
- Croque-Madame, Sauce Mornay (Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich with a Fried Egg and Mornay Sauce)