An all-American quick bread that substitutes cornmeal for most (or sometimes all) of the flour. It can include various flavorings such as cheese, scallions, molasses and bacon. Cornbread can be thin and crisp or thick and light. It can be baked Southern style in a skillet or in a shallow square, round or rectangular baking pan. Some of the more popular cornbreads are hushpuppies, johnnycakes and spoon bread.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Southern Cornbread Salad
- Cast Iron Honey Cornbread
- Chili Topped Cornbread Bites
- Bacon Cornbread
- Southern Cornbread
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Maple-Roasted Turkey with Sage, Smoked Bacon, and Cornbread Stuffing
- Spicy Cornbread Muffins
- Pulled Pork Cobb Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- Roasted Flounder Stuffed with an Eggplant and Cornbread Dressing
- Andouille Sausage and Pepper Cornbread Stuffing