This large, exquisite pear has a meltingly smooth, sweet flesh and fruit-filled fragrance. It ranges in color from greenish-yellow to yellow blushed with red. It's available from October to January and is best eaten raw. See also pear.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Comice Pear, Dried Fruit, and Huckleberry Crostata
- Fig and Pear Charlotte
- Poached Pears Stuffed with Maytag Blue Cheese and Roasted Walnuts Wrapped in Puff Pastry with Port Wine Reduction Sauce
- Ginger Poached Pear in Lingonberry Broth
- Zinfandel Poached Pears
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Endive, Pear, and Roquefort Salad
- Vacherin Mont D'Or with Ripe Pears and Drageed Hazelnuts
- Moschofilero Lemongrass and Asian Pear Sorbet
- Pear Gorgonzola Tart
- Sour Cherry Pear Pie