This large family of fruit includes among its members the citron, grapefruit, kumquat, lavender gem, lemon, lime, mandarin orange, oro blanco, pomelo, shaddock, tangelo, tangerine and ugli fruit. Native to Asia, citrus fruits prefer tropical to temperate climates and thrive in many Central and South American countries, as well as the states of Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana and Texas. All fresh citrus fruits share some degree of tartness and are rich in vitamin C.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Smoky Roasted Chicken and Citrus Salsa
- Fennel Spiced Prawns with Citrus Salad
- Red Snapper Skewered Grilled "Ceviche"
- Carnitas with Spicy Pickled Vegetables and Cactus Salad
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Herb-Crusted Atlantic Wreckfish with Fresh Citrus Beurre Blanc
- Fortune Fruit Salad
- Chocolate Citrus Biscotti
- Citrus-Marinated Grilled Turkey
- Tilapia with Citrus Bagna Cauda