Used extensively in Chinese cooking, this pungent mixture of five ground spices usually consists of equal parts of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Prepackaged five-spice powder is available in Asian markets and most supermarkets.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Five Spice Pineapple Carrot Cupcakes
- Five-Spice Chile-Tea Rubbed Partridge with Grilled Fennel and Wild Mushroom Orzo 'Risotto'
- Chinese Five Spice Sirloin
- Chinese Five-Spice Chicken with Red Cabbage and Potato Gratin
- Spicy Chinese Five-Spice Rubbed Chicken Wings with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce