Categories: Coffee Drinks
This radicchio is a red-leafed Italian chicory. Roasted chicory (also called succory) comes from the roasted, ground roots of some varieties of chicory. It's used as a coffee substitute, and added to some coffees for body and aroma and as an "extender." This coffee-chicory blend is often referred to as "New Orleans" or "Creole" coffee and is a popular beverage in Louisiana.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Chicory Soup: Cicoria Seduta
- Chicory Salad with Walnuts and Parmesan
- Chicory Salad with Blueberries, Hazelnuts, and Aged Manchego
- Chicory Soup with Egg: Zuppa di Cicoria con l'Ouvo
- Chicory Endive Fritte Torzelli