Particularly popular in the South and Midwest, this dish is said to have been created to use inexpensive beef. It refers to a thin cut of steak that has been tenderized by pounding. It's dipped into a milk-egg mixture and seasoned flour, then fried like chicken until crisp and brown, and served with country gravy.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Flank Steak Crostini with Chimichurri and Vidalia Relish
- Surf n' Turf- Flank Steak and Prawns with a Salad of Grilled Romaine
- Italian-style Grilled T-Bone Steaks
- Marinated and Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, Yucca Fries and Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad
- Jan's Cowboy Steak with Tomato Relish