1. French for "hunter," chasseur sauce is a hunter-style brown sauce consisting of mushrooms, shallots and white wine (sometimes tomatoes and parsley). It's most often served with game and other meats. 2. Dishes prepared in a chasseur style are garnished with sautéed mushrooms and shallots.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Chasseur Sauce
- Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts with a Chasseur Sauce
- Pommes Anna
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Salted Caramel Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Apricot Amaretto Sauce
- Pan-Seared Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary Balsamic and Orange Sauce
- Mushroom and Prosciutto Sauce: Ragu di Funghi e Prosciutto
- Wheat Noodles with Anchovy Sauce: Bigoli en Salsa
- Lamb Meatballs in Almond Sauce