Boston and Bibb (also called limestone) lettuce are the two most well known of the butterhead family. The smaller Bibb is highly prized by gourmets. Both Boston and Bibb lettuce are sometimes referred to simply as "butterhead" or "butter" lettuce. See also lettuce.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Pickled Sugar Snap Peas and Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Jicama and Watermelon Salad
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Mango Ceviche
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Antipasto Summer Lettuce Wraps
- Moroccan Watercress and Butter Lettuce Salad: Shlada De-al Jorjor Ain El Maa
- Peas with Lettuce
- Turnip Lettuce Wraps
- Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps