Boston and Bibb (also called limestone) lettuce are the two most well known of the butterhead family. The smaller Bibb is highly prized by gourmets. Both Boston and Bibb lettuce are sometimes referred to simply as "butterhead" or "butter" lettuce. See also lettuce.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Pickled Sugar Snap Peas and Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- Jicama and Watermelon Salad
- Mango Ceviche
- Shrimp Cocktail
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Baby Lettuces and Cayenne-Roasted Peanuts with Creole Honey Mustard Vinaigrette, and Homemade White Cheddar Crackers
- Hearts of Iceberg Lettuce with Ranch Dressing
- PLT - Pancetta, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
- Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Butter Lettuce, Mache and Pomegranate Seeds Dressed with Champagne Vinaigrette