Butter cooked until it's a pale brown color, akin to that of hazelnuts. The French term is beurre noisette ("hazelnut butter"). Brown butter is used to dress myriad foods including vegetables, fish, meat and pasta.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Brown Butter Apple Crostata with Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
- Brown Butter Almond Brussels Sprouts
- Brown Butter, Rosemary, and Lemon Popcorn
- Brown Butter Risotto with Lobster
- Brown Butter Almond Torte with Sour Cherry Sauce
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Mixed Greens Salad with Brown Butter Vinaigrette
- Brown Butter Old Fashioned
- Roasted Squash with Brown Butter and Cinnamon
- Apple-Studded Brown Butter Streusel Coffee Cake
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Maple Cinnamon Sage Brown Butter