Butter cooked until it's a pale brown color, akin to that of hazelnuts. The French term is beurre noisette ("hazelnut butter"). Brown butter is used to dress myriad foods including vegetables, fish, meat and pasta.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Brown Butter Apple Crostata with Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
- Brown Butter Fig Tartlets
- Brown Butter Green Beans
- Brown Butter Risotto with Lobster
- Brown Butter Madeleines
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter and Bittersweet Chocolate
- Benne Brown Butter Apple Tart
- Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs with Caper Brown Butter
- Fish with Lemon and Brown Butter Sauce
- Gnocchi with Dried Apricot Brown Butter and Crispy Sage