A large winter pear with a slender neck and a russeted yellow skin, the Bosc is available from October through April. It has an agreeably sweet-tart flavor and is delicious fresh or cooked. The Bosc holds its shape well when baked or poached. See also pear.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Illinois Rabbit with Wilted Arugula, Goat Cheese, Nuts, and Arugula Puree
- Fig and Pear Charlotte
- Ginger Poached Pear in Lingonberry Broth
- Poached Pears Stuffed with Maytag Blue Cheese and Roasted Walnuts Wrapped in Puff Pastry with Port Wine Reduction Sauce
- Pear-Stuffed French Toast
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Endive, Pear, and Roquefort Salad
- Vacherin Mont D'Or with Ripe Pears and Drageed Hazelnuts
- Moschofilero Lemongrass and Asian Pear Sorbet
- Pear Gorgonzola Tart
- Sour Cherry Pear Pie