A large winter pear with a slender neck and a russeted yellow skin, the Bosc is available from October through April. It has an agreeably sweet-tart flavor and is delicious fresh or cooked. The Bosc holds its shape well when baked or poached. See also pear.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Illinois Rabbit with Wilted Arugula, Goat Cheese, Nuts, and Arugula Puree
- Fig and Pear Charlotte
- Ginger Poached Pear in Lingonberry Broth
- Zinfandel Poached Pears
- Pear and Berry Napoleon
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Layered Chestnut Cream and Pear Verrine
- Asian Pear Salad with Tamari Pecans and Maytag Blue Cheese
- Grilled King Salmon with Pear Butter and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Frozen Yogurt with Poached Rum Raisin Pears
- Pear and Cranberry Crostata