Distinctly trumpet-shaped, this mushroom ranges from 2 to 5 inches high. Its flesh is thin and brittle and can range in color from grayish brown to very dark brown or almost black. Black trumpets are distinctively aromatic and have an elegant buttery flavor. They're available midsummer through midfall in specialty produce markets. See also mushroom.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Aspic of Slow-Simmered Veal with Crisp Sweetbreads and Black Trumpet Mushrooms
- Grilled Quail Breast Wrapped in Prosciutto with Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Baby Leeks, Pea Tendrils and Saffron Noodles
- Trumpet Royale Mushrooms with Celery Root and Apple Slaw
- Braised Goose Feet with Black Mushrooms
- Black Bean, Spinach, and Mushroom Burritos