Almost black in color, this European peasant bread gets its hue from a variety of ingredients including dark rye flour, toasted dark breadcrumbs, molasses, cocoa powder, dark beer and coffee. It's a hearty, full-flavored loaf that, depending on the baker, can be lightly sweet.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Open Faced Black Bread Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon with Apple-Horseradish Cream and Black Bread
- Nigella's Hungarian Sandwich
- Home Cured Herring
- Hot-Smoked Salmon and Chipotle Crema
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Grilled Tuna with Black Bean Chili, Avocado Puree and Fried Tortillas
- Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Garbage Bread
- Mostaciolli with Fennel and Bread Crumbs
- Beef and Black Bean Chili with Toasted Cumin Crema and Avocado Relish
- Batini Black