Almost black in color, this European peasant bread gets its hue from a variety of ingredients including dark rye flour, toasted dark breadcrumbs, molasses, cocoa powder, dark beer and coffee. It's a hearty, full-flavored loaf that, depending on the baker, can be lightly sweet.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Open Faced Black Bread Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon with Apple-Horseradish Cream and Black Bread
- Cracked Black Pepper Bread
- Roasted Sausages, Peppers, and Onions and Cheesy Bread with Black Pepper
- Steak Sandwich on Toasted Garlic Bread with Tomato-Black Olive Relish with Skillet Fries