A dessert consisting of a layer of sponge cake topped by a thick slab of ice cream, all of which is blanketed with meringue. This creation is then baked in a very hot oven for about 5 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown. The meringue layer insulates the ice cream and prevents it from melting.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Big Beautiful Baked Alaska
- Baked Alaska (Flamin' Palin')
- Pumpkin Baked Alaska with Spiked Eggnog Center
- Baked Ziti with Spinach and Veal
- Streusel Topped Baked Peaches with Sorghum Glaze