Any small, bite-size food served before a meal to whet and excite the palate. Used synonymously with the term hors d'oeuvre, though this term more aptly describes finger food, whereas appetizer can also apply to a first course served at table.
From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Related Recipes From Food Network
- Better Breaded Bites (Deep Fried Appetizer Alternatives)
- Avocado Appetizer
- Matzoh Pinwheel Appetizers
- Three Cheese Crostini Appetizer
- Radicchio Lettuce Cups with Caponata
Related Content From Cooking Channel
- Seafood Appetizer in the Style of Venezia: Misto di Mare alla Veneziana
- Sardine Factory Famous Calamari Puffs Appetizer
- Senator Hollings' Flaky Appetizer Cream Cheese Biscuits (Carolina Biscuits)
- Spicy Sweet Potato and Chicken Fritters
- Avocado and Corn Tostaditas